Event: Long Island City Arts Open
NYC’s Fastest-Growing Creative Community to Celebrate Its Artistic Diversity with Weeklong Festival
DOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE FOR ALL THE INFO!
The first annual LIC Arts Open, an exciting celebration of the thriving arts community in Long Island City, Queens, will take place on May 14 – 22, 2011. This fabulous week will be open to the public and feature myriad cultural activities and events, many of them FREE, including:
• One of NYC’s largest Artists Open Studios (May 21 & 22), with hundreds of artists opening their studios for viewing at Reis Studios, LIC Art Center, Wills Studios, PaintCan Studios, Brickhouse Ceramics, Salazar Studios, Mittman, RealArt and more;
• Special exhibitions, including a show in The Industry curated by Jeffrey Leder; Helaine Soller at Riverview Restaurant; Experimental Space group show curated by Michael Rodriguez @ Reis Studios; “Edible Art LIC”, a photography exhibit of some of the top LIC restaurants and their chefs, by Jesse Winter @ Ten10Studios;
• Gallery shows of LIC artists at the spacious new Jeffrey Leder Gallery, M55 Gallery, the newly expanded Reis Gallery, Local Project, Ten10 Studios and other LIC venues;
• Musical performances with renowned teachers from the LIC Academy of Music, Emmy award winner J. Walter Hawkes and Pat Irwin (formerly of the B-52s), Jazz with the Jonathan Parker Group, and other local musicians; experimental music with Random Access Music;
• Theater including the Queens Fringe Festival, Face/Off Comedy Improv, Hyperion Theatre and Queens Shakespeare doing A Midsummer Nights Dream, Secret Burlesque, @ the Secret Theatre;
• Dance performances by Octavia Cup Dance Theatre in the Metropolitan Building, Forward Motion Theatre (revision series) at Attic Studios, Insight Dance (modern), and students from the LIC School of Ballet;
• Walking tours throughout the week led by Queens Borough historian Jack Eichenbaum;
• Workshops, demonstrations, film screenings;
• Food events via local culinary gems like M. Wells, LIC Market, Jassi’s, Da Gianni’s, Manducatis Rustica, Breadbox Cafe, Sage General Store and others, with Edible Queens involved;
• Community outreach including an art contest for Queens K-12 students, adjudicated by Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer and prominent local artists;
• Kick-Off and Wrap Parties open to all;
• And much, much more to engage arts lovers of New York and beyond!
… all just one subway stop away from Manhattan and Brooklyn!
The LIC Arts Open is organized by the LIC Arts Open organization, a collaboration of arts entities, businesses and individuals seeking to spotlight the diverse artistic community in Long Island City, Queens. *LIC Arts Open is under the fiscal sponsorship of Fractured Atlas.